Sometimes you have to whip out bad ass muffins to WOW your brunch guests and MAKE them visit LifesLemons for the recipe. These are that good.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins (Caits Plate)
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup soymilk (I used cow milk)
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soymilk and pumpkin puree.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture, and beat to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup with batter and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean (about 25- 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Let muffins cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
- Working with one at a time, remove muffins from pan, brush all over with butter, then toss to coat in sugar mixture.
- Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack.
P.S. I ran for Arthritis last Sunday…and did quite well. (33rd out of 729, 3rd out of 381 women if you must know.)